Underwear 101 – Growing your Underwear Collection
I have an online friend that I have gotten into underwear. He’s never really been into it and is starting the journey. I have been giving him an education on brands and styles. This past conversation involved fabrics and what to wear when. He’s used to the big box undies made out of 100% cotton. I told him they must go.
Giving him homework to look and see what’s out there. I have pointed him to International Jock, Dead Good Undies, Andrew Christian, Gregg Homme, Bruno Menswear and a few more. I want to show him that underwear has a function (such as daily wear) and fun (such as erotic wear). This will allow him to find his own style and brands he loves.
One thing he pointed out was “underwear is expensive.” As most of you know this is very true. A good pair of underwear will set you back $15 or more. Depending on the brand it can be $30 or more. Starting out, I don’t recommend going out and spending big money on brands you have never tried. Now, if you have plenty of money to spend and won’t miss it, then by all means, go shop and try it all. If, however, you’re like me and on a budget, that’s unrealistic.
How do you grow your collection without breaking the bank?
- Cheapundies.com – This is your best friend when starting. This is the site where you can try some of the best brands at incredible prices. Even the Cheapundies brand has really impressed me with the low price and amazing quality. Some downsides: Things sell out fast, be on the email list and shop early. Especially mediums and smalls. Not all brands are on it. And not every day will have a deal on a style or brand you may want.
- Discount Stores – While, not as good as they used to be, you can occasionally find good deals at Marshalls, TJ Maxx & Ross Dress for Less. While in Vegas a few years back, I found the 2(X)ist Sliq Mesh briefs for around 8 bucks a pair. Some downsides: The selection is not always great. Brands seem to be limited from what they sold in the past. You will have to dig through to find gold. There really is no organization by brand or size. Those who will root through it all may find some deals.
- Clearance sales – Both online and in department stores. These happen at the end of the seasons. Usually late summer and winter. You can find some amazing deals on these sales. I can’t begin to tell you how many times I was in Macy’s and found undies marked down. Some downsides: sizing is limited a lot of times. Leaving more large and X-Large over mediums. Colors will be sold out and usually, the least popular colors are left.
- Daily Deals – Not all brands have these but some do. They give you a discount for a limited time on a pair. After the time is over or they are sold out, the deal disappears. The best example of this is the Baskit $12 Tuesday. These are not as popular as they once were.
- Sales – Around holidays, specifically big ones. i.e. Christmas, Memorial Day, 4th of July. They can come out with some big sales. The thing to do is find the brand/retailer you like best, join their email list and shop when they have a good sale. I use this on brands that are pricey that I don’t buy every day.
Some things to look out for when growing your collection:
- Counterfeit undies – Believe it or not they exist. Specifically, on Ebay and other online super discounted sites. These pairs are not made as well as the official pairs. If you can find a pair of Andrew Christian on one of these sites for $4, it’s probably not real. If it’s too good to be true, it prob is. Stick with well-known sites. If you have questions feel free to reach out to us and ask if we’ve heard of a site.
- Return Policies – Some sites and even states don’t offer returns on underwear unless it’s defective. If you get something you don’t like, you could be stuck with it
- Sizing issues – Not all underwear is created the same. When buying a new brand read up on the sizing and make sure you are getting the right size. Read our sizing guide, ask friends or ask Twitter. People will gladly give feedback on sizing!
I hope this helps you guys grow your collections!